What will you be doing?
Design researchers are responsible for the research activities that allow frog teams to get close to the problem, learn about people, gain empathy, generate insights, and test new ideas. Design researchers plan and execute research using qualitative methods, analyse results, and synthesise insights in close collaboration with multidisciplinary project teams.
As a Senior Design Researcher, you are expected to represent depth in the craft of design research: as an individual contributor, as a mentor and guide for less expert colleagues, and as a contributor to the global community of practice. You will often be the backbone of a research project from beginning to end. You will plan, prioritise, and deliver design research activities autonomously, in the context of interdisciplinary projects. You will lead client conversations within your domain, providing articulate recommendations and helping guide client choices. You will have opportunities to lead small teams on projects and contribute to business development through proposal-writing and pitches.
Your fellow frogs will rely on you to:
- Be the go-to person for all things research related
- Know how to set up and conduct research ethically and in compliance with local laws and regulations.
- Use both qualitative and quantitative data to generate insights and opportunity areas for further exploration
- Champion the voice of the user in all aspects of design, prototyping, testing and delivery
- Help others understand and use DR methods in their daily work
On a typical project you will:
- Define the research approach and methods for the project context, considering desired research outcomes, agreed sample, regulatory constraints, and client engagement
- Prepare research protocols including tools, structure, interview guide and supporting materials
- Define the research sample and supervise recruitment
- Train and onboard team members and clients who will participate in research fieldwork
- Lead interviews and other fieldwork activities
- Lead the synthesis process from in-field synthesis to the final research report; identifying themes and insights, finding synergies, connections, and patterns to guide design.
- Define the best method(s) for delivering research insights, and how these are traced throughout the project lifecycle.
- Present research results in client presentations.
- Manage the ideation process, building on research insights
- Work together with strategists and data scientists to combine quantitative methods and analytics with qualitative insights.
- Prepare and perform foundational research, generative and evaluative research to provide insights on opportunities for new business/product/service or improvements to existing solutions.
- Provide coaching, tools, and guidelines to clients to help operationalise design research within their organisation.
We want you to have:
- 5+ years of professional design research experience (although you might have had a different job title, like “UX researcher” or “Human Factors”)
- Highly developed research skills and proven track record of translating findings into actionable insights for product/service/business design, demonstrated in your portfolio of recent work
- Experience in conducting research projects for B2B and B2C
- Strong presentation and storytelling abilities
- Experience collaborating in multifunctional teams as the research lead
- Confidence in working with a variety of stakeholders
- Affinity with frog’s values, and a passion for creating products and services that meet people’s functional and emotional needs
- Confidence leading research and analysis in English and German
It would be a bonus if you had:
- A university degree in a relevant Design, Technology, Cognitive or Social Science discipline
- Experience leading multi-national research projects
- Experience planning, conducting and analysing quantitative studies
- Experience including the sustainability perspective in business/product/service design
- Experience working in a variety of organisations (start-up, corporate, agency/consultancy)
- Academic, professional, or life experience from outside the design field that enriches your perspective as a designer
Equal Opportunities at frog
frog is an Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender identity/expression, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
frog is a global business with teams working across the world. To help us process your application, please ensure that your application documents (CV, cover letter, portfolio, etc.) are all in English.